Knowing what to do in the event of an auto accident in advance can defiantly help... Here are some basics:
Following the accident:
- Call the police. If you don't, you run the risk of additional liability if you are not at fault.
- Stay at the scene in a safe place to obtain important information.
- Do not advise your coverage limits or admit fault
- Names, phone numbers and addresses of the owner and any occupants, including the number of occupants in the other vehicle(s).
- Name, phone numbers, addresses and e-mail addresses of potential witnesses
- The location
- Insurance company name. the policy number and the phone number for other parties involved
- The police report number and department contact information
- The damage of vehicles and/or property.
- The accident scene. Note the road conditions and / or skid marks and debris in the roadway. Also note the vehicle positions.
- Identification of the other driver's with clear photos of insurance cards, registrations & license plates.