Spring is a time for rejuvenation, and, as the weather gets warmer and the days grow longer, there’s a positive energy in the air. It’s the perfect time to and refresh and organize their home, while others eagerly get to work in the yard and garden.
While it’s easy to get caught up in spring cleaning and planting, this is also one of the most important times of the year for home maintenance.
Of course, you already know to set your clocks forward for daylight-saving time, which begins at 2 a.m. on Sunday, March 8 this year, and to change the batteries in your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. It’s a good idea to do a basic checkup in some other key areas, too. After all, winter can be rough on your home.
Yard and Exterior
- Check for signs of rodents, roaches, termites, etc.
- Clean gutters and downspouts.
- Trim tree branches and shrubs away from your home or utility wires, and remove dead trees.
- Examine your deck and/or balconies for damages or loose boards or railings.
- Ensure that mulch isn’t in contact with your home’s siding.
Roof, Siding, Windows
- Check for damage to your shingles, including mildew and algae; have a professional inspect and repair your roof, if necessary.
- Go into the attic to check for signs of roof leakage, such as visible moisture or discoloration.
- Look for peeling paint. Remember, paint is about more than appearance. A good paint job also protects against the effects of weather.
- Check for leaks around window and door sills. Properly sealed windows and doors can help prevent damage and lower your energy costs.
Interior and Appliances
- Examine your basement and/or crawlspace for any signs of standing water or dripping. Take action immediately, if needed, to avoid mold.
- Clean dryer exhaust hose and vent. Lint build-up in this area is a common cause of fires, so do a thorough job by moving the dryer and disconnecting both ends of the hose.
- Clean exhaust fan outlets and screens.
- Check all air filters and replace, if necessary.
- Vacuum refrigerator/freezer coils to help your unit run efficiently