‘Tis the season for celebrating-more entertaining, more cooking and an increased risk of fire. Keep you family safe this holiday season with these safety tips.
- Use care when burning candles. Make sure they are in sturdy holders, kept well away from decorations and out of the reach of children and pets.
- Never use candles to decorate your Christmas tree.
- Don’t leave items you’re cooking unattended – that’s the leading cause of fire in the US.
- Choose a fresh Christmas tree and place it well away from heat sources. Water it every day.
- If using an artificial tree, make sure it’s flame retardant.
- Replace any lights with frayed or damaged cords, and always unplug all the lights before leaving home or going to bed.
- Don’t overload electrical outlets.
- Be sure candles in your menorah have burned out before you leave the house or go to sleep.
Also take this opportunity to be sure your homeowners insurance reflects the amount of coverage you need to replace your home and possessions. We’ll be glad to go over your current policy, so call the Giovanetti Agency if you have any questions, or need to review your coverage